[Learn about True Biblical Friendship with these Bible Verses of Friendship]
We met on the playground of Beethoven elementary school in West Los Angeles. We were jumping rope on the playground and we became best friends.
Carla and I did everything together.
We jumped off her garage roof with huge umbrellas. (SO much fun!)
We dug a huge hole in her background, lined it with linoleum and tried to make our own swimming pool. (It didn’t work!)
We popped tar bubbles on the telephone poles that blistered up in the hot California sun. (It was satisfying!)
It was the stuff that friendships were made of, and it lasted the entirety of elementary school until I moved away.
Thinking about our youth and the many crazy things we did together brings back such wonderful memories of childhood.
Perhaps you, growing up as a child, had a friendship like that too?
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure here.)
Woven throughout the Bible are Bible Verses for Friendship
In the gospel of John, Jesus was speaking to His disciples and he told them, “…Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” There was a relationship between disciple and master that went above superficiality. It was deep and there was a connection. And that deepness called for obedience.
Friendship and discipleship went hand in hand. When you have a relationship with the Lord, you have a beautiful friendship with the master of the universe.
Perhaps you are also longing to learn more about the Bible and what it says about friendship, both earthly and heavenly.
What does the Bible say about Bible Verses for Friendship?
The theme of friendship weaves it’s way throughout the entire Bible. From the beginning of creation, God longed for relationship with someone who would seek Him out, spend time with Him and love Him. Willingly.
With the fall of mankind, friendship remained a common theme in the Bible, but God’s plan was to redeem fallen man back into relationship with Him through His son Jesus Christ.
The most touching account of friendship in the Bible, is that of David and Jonathan in 1 Kings chapter 18. Jonathon and David had an amazing bond and the Bible says that their souls were knit together. The Bible says that their souls were knit together and they loved one another as much as they loved themselves. What a self sacrificing act of friendship that is.
Friendship Bible verses
Let’s check out these hand picked friendship Bible verses~
- And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle. – Exodus 33:11
- To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty. -Job 6:14
- Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends; for the hand of God hath touched me. -Job 19:21
- And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. -1 Samuel 18:1
- And Jonathan said to David, Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the LORD, saying, The LORD be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed for ever. And he arose and departed: and Jonathan went into the city. 1 Samuel 20:42
- Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. -Psalm 41:9
- I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts. -Psalm 119-63
- Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman: (friend) -Proverbs 7:4
- A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. –Proverbs 17:17
- A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. -Proverbs 18:24
- He that loveth pureness of heart, for the grace of his lips the king shall be his friend. -Proverbs 22:11
- Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. -Proverbs 27:6
- Thine own friend, and thy father’s friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother’s house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off. -Proverbs 27:10
- Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. -Proverbs 27:17
- Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man’s friend by hearty counsel. -Proverbs 27:9
- And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. -Luke 5:20
- For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? -Luke 11:6
- But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee. -Luke 14:8
- These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. -John 11:11
- This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. John 15:12
- Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13
- You are my friends if you do what I command. -John 15:14
- Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. -John 15:15
- Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ. -Romans 16:5
- And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. -James 2:23
- Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. -James 4:4
- Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. -1 John 4:7
- Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers; – 3 John 1:5
- The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth. 3 John 1:1
The Value of Friendship Through the Years
After years of being seperated by my move, high school, military service and children, Carla and I remained disconnected until many years later when we found each other on Facebook.
I know that if we were able to have a get together in person, our friendship would continue on right where we left off.
It is my prayer that these friendship Scriptures touch your heart and cultivate your relationship with the Lord.