[Cultivate Gratitude with These Thanksgiving Prayer Points]
Thanksgiving Prayer Points to Cultivate Gratitude
Ten lepers stood before Jesus asking him for mercy. What happened next was a telltale sign of nine men who lacked something very important: Thanksgiving to the one who not only showed mercy but who healed them.
After being healed there was only ONE leper who came back to say thank you to Jesus.
Which leads to that soul stirring question where we look at our heart and ask ourselves…
Would I be like the one leper that would return and give thanks to the Lord or would I be one of the 9 that didn’t give thanks and simply left?
Thanksgiving is defined as the expression of giving thanks- especially to God, because you can’t say thanks without attributing it to someone– in our case, the Lord.
Is it any wonder that action is being taken to water down holidays that express thanks to our Lord God.
Expressing thanks to our Lord for what He has done for us and for every day things should flow from our mouth in praise just as we expel breath. A heart full of thanksgiving isn’t limited to one day a year. Thanksgiving and gratitude is a way of life for the believer in Christ.
But somewhere in the messy middle of life, it’s easy to lose focus on Jesus, to focus on the irritants and the thorns that distract us from God’s goodness and be less thankful.
That’s why our spiritual walks must include renewing our minds to help us focus on God and be thankful. That renewal of the mind is based upon God and His word.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full disclosure here.
Are you ready for a heart change to one where you heart is overflowing with gratitude with these Thanksgiving prayer points? First let’s start with some very important Scriptures from Luke chapter 17.
Luke 17:11-18 And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee. And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off: And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us. And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
Let’s get real, creative Sister. Ingratitude happens.
The first step in cultivating a heart of thanks, is to ask God to open your eyes to your ingratitude and complacency. Ask God to replace your lack with an overflowing heart of gratitude.
Ask God for a heart like the one leper who came back to say thanks~
Cultivating Thanksgiving through Songs of Worship
Another way to cultivate gratitude is to dwell on songs that express Thanksgiving to God. The song, Thank you Lord, is old, but it continually stirs me up to lift up prayers of Thanks to God for all things.
Thanksgiving Prayer Points for Daily Christian Living
Gratitude and Thanksgiving is the lifestyle of the Christian believer. It’s not just one specific holiday or day that we are told to give thanks. Thanksgiving and giving thanks is a way of life that expresses and praises the Lord for ALL that He has done. Gratitude doesn’t happen on it’s own, it must be nurtured and cultivated.
The last thing we want is our heart to be filled with grumbling and complaining. I’m reminded of the Israelites and how God provided their needs and they still complained about it.
How can we have a heart change? By focusing on God first thing in the morning.
Two Daily Thanksgiving Prayers
These are just two examples of what to pray as you daily give thanks to God. Make them your own and also pray from your heart.
Dear Lord, Thank you for this wonderful day where we can come before you in prayer. I want to see your glory and grace in all aspects of my life and be filled with a heart full of thanks and praise. Let my lips burst forth in praise and thanks to you and help me to exercise self control when I want to complain and murmur. Renew my heart in Jesus Name, Amen
Father God, I don’t want my heart to be filled with grumbling and complaining. Help me to cultivate gratitude in all that I do. Fill my heart with thanks and praise so that my lips glorify you in every moment of every day. In Jesus Name, Amen
Hey Creative Sister! Check out these other Bible Resources!
Specific Daily Thanksgiving Prayer Points
Below are some daily Thanksgiving prayer points to help you with your daily prayer time.
Today- When you wake up in the morning time, give thanks to the Lord for another day to give Him praise and glorify Him by the life you are living.
God’s Love- Read and dwell on John 3:16 and Revelation 1:5 that clearly state God’s love for you and I. Ask God to know and experience His love towards you.
The Gospel- Thank God for the glorious gospel that has tranformed and revoultionized your life.
Redemption- From saint to sinner~ thank God for His wonderful plan of redemption in paying the price for your sin by his substitionary death.
God’s Faithfullness- From the rising of the sun till the going down of the same, God has proven himself in the life of his children. Thank Him for always being with you and for never forsaking you.
Your Spouse- Pray for your spouse to have a heart that follows after the Lord and to draw closer to Jesus. Every evening, unknown to my husband, I lay my hands on him and both thank the Lord for him and pray for him.
Your Family- pray for your family, both unbelievers and believers. Each and every one has special and unique needs. Bring those needs to God in prayer.
Your Health- pray for your health. Ask the Lord for divine healing if you are sick.
The Health of Your Family- Call each name out and ask God to keep them healthy. Pray for healing if they are sick.
Shelter and a Home to Live in- Thank the Lord for his provision in giving you a place to live and sleep.
All your Needs- Cultivate gratitude by thanking God for all of your needs instead of all of your wants. Ask God to help you see the difference.
Faithful Friends- Thank God for the wonderful people He has brought to your life. If they have specific needs, pray for them.
Thanksgiving Prayer Points For the church
Your Pastor- pray for your pastor as he leads the flock of God. Ask God to give him divine wisdom and to shield him from the fiery darts of the wicked one.
Your pastor’s wife- pray that her relationship remains fresh in the Lord. Ask
The body of Christ- pray for unity in the church and that all division will be cast down.
Church leadership- pray that all leadership roles have pure motives in leading the church.
Worship team and musicians- pray that the musicians and singers remain humble in service to the Lord.
Prayer Points for Thanksgiving with Bible Verses
The above examples are all wonderful things to pray for, but it’s also important to pray according to the Bible. The list below are wonderful prayer points for thanksgiving with Bible verses that will help you cultivate gratitude to your Lord.
Thanksgiving Prayer Points from the Psalms
Psalm 26:7, Psalm 50:14 , Psalm 69:30, Psalm 92:1-4, Psalm 95:1-3, Psalm 95:1-3, Psalm 100:4, Psalm 105:1, Psalm 106:1, Psalm 107:1, Psalm 116:17 , Psalm 118:1-4, Psalm 118:29, Psalm 136:1-3
- Pray to God for a heart to tell everyone about His wondrous works with a voice of Thanksgiving
- Sometimes giving thanks is a sacrifice. Ask God to help you give thanks even when you don’t feel like it.
- Ask God to put a song of Thanksgiving in your heart to magnify Him.
- Ask God to show you what you can be grateful for from the moment you wake up to when you lie your head down in sleep.
- Thank God that He has allowed you to come before His presence with Thanksgiving
- Thank the Lord you are able to make a joyful noise to Him.
- Shower God with thanks and praise because He is the highest King.
- Thank the Lord that you have instant access to to God in prayer and can enter boldly into His presence.
- Thank the Lord for making you a light to shine to your family, friends and those that cross your path. Pray specific prayers for your loved ones.
- Thank the Lord that you are able to share His testimony with others about how He changed your life. Ask God to specifically touch hearts.
- Thank the Lord for His wonderful mercy that endures forever.
Thanksgiving Prayer Points from the Old Testament Scripture
1 Chronicles 16:4,8-12, 1 Chronicles 16:34, 1 Chronicles 29:13, Daniel 2:23, Jonah 2:9,
- Ask God to help you serve in your church with your spiritual giftings. Thank Him that you are able to serve others.
- Thank God for His divine strength that works through your weakness.
- Pray for wisdom and ask God to help you have spiritual discernment.
- Pray for perseverance to follow through with vows that you have made to the Lord.
Thanksgiving Prayer Points from the Epistles
Romans 6:17, 1 Corinthians 1:4, 1 Corinthians 15:57, 2 Corinthians 2:14, 2 Corinthians 4:15, 2 Corinthians 9:15, Ephesians 1:15-16, Ephesians 5:19-20, Philippians 1:3, Philippians 4:6-7, Colossians 1:3, Colossians 3:15-17, Colossians 4:2, 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18, 1 Timothy 1:12, 1 Timothy 2:1-4, 1 Timothy 4:4-5, Hebrews 13:14-16
- Thank God for the transformation from servant to sin to child of God. Pray specifically for others to experience the same transformation.
- As soon as you have a remembrance of someone, pray for them, their salvation and their growth in God.
- Thank God for the victory that you have in Christ Jesus. Ask God to help you persevere in trials.
- Thank the Lord for the triumph that you only have in Christ.
- Pray continually for the saints of God, mentioning them always in your prayers to God.
- Thank God for all things in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Bring all of your requests, prayers, supplications and needs, to God. Big and small- He cares.
- Rest in the knowledge that the peace of God keeps your heart and mind in Jesus Christ. When the devil comes in like a flood, resist him and assure yourself that God’s peace trumps all confusion of the enemy.
- Pray for the peace of God to rule in your heart in every situation.
- Ask God for pure motives when you pray, motives that are based on a thankful heart.
- In good and bad, we are told to give thanks to God for the will of God concerning us and our spiritual growth. Thank God for the hard trials that God uses to bring you close to Him and uses for His good.
- Pray for your nations’s leaders.
- Pray for peace and freedom in our country
- Pray for freedom to worship God according to the Bible.
- Pray for the salvation of all men and that they can come to the knowledge of God’s truth.
Prayer Points for Thanksgiving dinner
How can you make your Thanksgiving meal overflow with gratitude?
Simply by having the focus on the one to whom we give thanks.
Have you ever sat at the Thanksgiving dinner table nervous about how to pray over your Thanksgiving meal? I have a made this simple thanksgiving prayer printable for you to help make your Thanksgiving meal overflow with gratitude. The printable is perfect to print out and place at each table setting.
One person can lead the prayer or all can recite the prayer together.
I hope that this can become a new thanksgiving tradition for you and your family. To download this printable, simply click on the image below. It will open up in another window for you to save.
God, we thank you for your bountiful blessings. We have no shortage of our daily needs and we give you thanks for everything. Bless this food, our conversation and our meal together as a family
If you’ve ever felt that you need help with what to pray for, I’m sure that these Thanksgiving prayer points are more than enough to help you pray to God and cultivate a spirit of thankfullness during your daily quiet time, praying with others and at the Thanksgiving dinner table.
Creative Sister, this is your moment to yield that grumbling spirit to God and allow Him to mold your heart and life into a vessel that is full of praise to God. Will you be like the 9 that didn’t give thanks or will you be like the one who came back to Jesus with a heart full of thanks?
The time is now.
Read these other posts about the topic of prayer:
Learning How to Pray for Beginners
Learn How to Pray Psalm 23
How to Use the A.C.T.S Model When you Pray
All About the Serenity Prayer
How to Pray for Self Control
How to Pray Creatively with These Acronyms in Prayer
Pray Without Ceasing Bible Journaling
Table of Contents
- 1 Thanksgiving Prayer Points to Cultivate Gratitude
- 2 amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "embracinglo03-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = ""; amzn_assoc_linkid = "7e278cb2d48f65ee6dcec75f0df5763d"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B07H8Z239Y,0310089646,B07PMJ95R3,1948209861"; Thanksgiving Prayer Points Cultivate A Heart full of gratitude
- 3 Cultivating Thanksgiving through Songs of Worship
- 4 Thanksgiving Prayer Points for Daily Christian Living
- 5 Two Daily Thanksgiving Prayers
- 6 Hey Creative Sister! Check out these other Bible Resources!
- 7 Specific Daily Thanksgiving Prayer Points
- 8 Thanksgiving Prayer Points For the church
- 9 Prayer Points for Thanksgiving with Bible Verses
- 10 Thanksgiving Prayer Points from the Psalms
- 11 Thanksgiving Prayer Points from the Old Testament Scripture
- 12 Thanksgiving Prayer Points from the Epistles
- 13 Prayer Points for Thanksgiving dinner