Inside: Check out this home made unleavened bread recipe for communion
Every year on Easter, people flock to church to partake in a ceremony where many gather to remember the sacrifice of their Lord Jesus on the cross. When Christians come together to have communion, it’s a sobering time of self reflection when we ask ourselves if we are worthy of drinking the same cup of the Lord and make sure we are not guilty of the body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Communion isn’t something to be done in a spirit of lightheartedness.
Paul in 1 Corinthians 11:23-28 said: that whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord who is not worthy shall be guilty of the body and blood of Jesus himself.
Paul states that it’s so serious that we are supposed to examine ourselves before partaking.
Why use an unleavened bread recipe for communion
Why use an unleavened bread recipe for communion?
Why is it important to use unleavened bread for communion? In the Old Testament, leaven, also known as yeast, symbolized sin. When the Jews were celebrating the Passover seder, they were told to only use a bread that contained no yeast, as mentioned in Matt. 26:17 and Mark 14:12. The Old fulfillment of the passover represents Jesus’ body. In like manner, the juice represents his blood of the New Covenant.
If we use leavened bread with yeast, we are using something that symbolizes sin, and we know that Christ was the sinless and final sacrifice for sin.
How to Make Communion Bread at Home
The wonderful thing about making unleavened bread for communion in your own home is that the ingredients are easy to find. You probably already have everything you need to make homemade communion wafers in your cupboards.
Here are the communion bread ingredients and tools you will need to make Unleavened Bread Recipe for Communion in the Bible:
And here’s the recipe for unleavened communion bread process:
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and mix in dry ingredients
- Roll out dough to 1/8″thick
- Cut out circles with your cookie cutter (or cut squares with a knife)
- Transfer wafers to your baking sheet and prick with a fork
- Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until they begin to start getting golden brown. Don’t overbake!
- Keep in a plastic bag for 2 weeks or in airtight container/bag in freezer indefinitely
Check out all of these amazing resources for communion:
Unleavened Bread Recipe for Communion
Beautiful Songs for Communion Worship
Beautiful Examples of Communion Scriptures in the Bible
How to take Communion at Home
How to Pray for Communion
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine ingredients till well incorporated and knead for 3 minutes
- Roll to 1/8" thick
- Cut out circles with cookie cutter
- Transfer wafers to baking sheet and prick with a fork
- Bake at 400* for 5-8 minutes or till beginning to get golden
- Store for 2 weeks or freeze till needed
Are you ready to make your Lord’s supper special? Enjoy this unleavened bread recipe for communion, Creative Sister!